With policy tools such as anti-displacement measures, existing community members can remain in
and strengthen their neighborhoods and networks
while accepting new residents through more compact, mixed-use development
Prevalence of Diabetes
- The prevalence of diabetes is highest for African Americans, among all racial/ethnic groups.
- There are few statistically stable estimates for prevalence of conditions among American Indian and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander populations.
- The prevalence of diabetes has increased for all groups between 2005 and 2015. Countywide prevalence has increased 1.7%.
By Age Group
Counts and Locations of Oil & Gas Wells in LA County (2019)
- As of April 2019, there are approximately 24,000 wells in LA County, of which 3,781 are active (15%).
- As of April 2019, approximately 62% of all wells are in either Long Beach (21.8%), Los Angeles (21.7%), or Unincorporated LA County (18.4%).
- As of April 2019, over 27% of active wells are in unincorporated areas.
data was used. Any limitations of the well location / status information in the
database is unknown.
Percent of Children (0-17) w/ Current Prevalence of
- Childhood asthma prevalence slightly decreased from 2005 to 2015, hovering around 7-9% of children (0-17 years old).
- Antelope Valley had the highest prevalence out of the eight SPAs every year; the 2015 prevalence rate of 14.2% is almost twice as high as the countywide average.
- African Americans had the highest asthma rates among the racial / ethnic groups surveyed; the 2015 prevalence rate of 17.3% is more than twice as high as the countywide average.
Percent of Children (0-17 years old) with Current
Prevalence of Asthma by Service Planning Area (2005-2017)
Prevalence of Childhood Asthma by Race/Ethnicity (% of children with asthma diagnoses in each racial/ ethnic group) (2005-2015)
American Indian has unstable; RSE > 23%
Cooling Centers in Los Angeles County
- There are 267 cooling centers total; 256 are south of Santa Clarita.
- There are only 8 county cooling centers north of Acton.
Number of Heat Stress Emergency Department Visits
- Total heat stress ED visits are trending upwards, from under 300 ED visits in 2005, to approximately 700 ED visits in 2014.
- Total heat stress ED visits per 100,000 increased approximately 2.5 times from 2005 to 2014.
Annual Heat Stress ED Visits per 100,000 Residents by SPA in LA County (2010-2014)
The Antelope Valley had the greatest number of heat stress ED visits per 100,000 residents between 2010 and 2014.
Urban Tree Canopy (2014)
- Tree canopy is greater in wealthy residential areas and lower in poorer/ disadvantaged areas.
- Approximately 20% of urban LA County is covered by tree canopy (2014 data).
- Approximately 16% of non-urban LA County is covered by tree canopy.
MATES IV Cancer Risk per One Million Residents with Census Tracts in the bottom 10% Median
Household Income (2012-2013)
- MATES does not provide information about cancer risk from air pollution in the Antelope Valley.
- Areas with the lowest calculated risk are in the Sandberg/ Gorman area, and on Catalina Island.
- The areas with the highest calculated risk are near the Port of LA and Port of Long Beach.
- MATES IV found average air toxics risk decrease of 65% relative to MATES III (conducted 2004-2006).
- Lower income areas typically have medium to high risk of cancer.
Stationary Source Metal Emissions (2005-2017)
- The amounts (mass) of point source and fugitive air emissions for a number of metals (copper, lead, nickel, chromium, and antimony) all decreased markedly around 2008-2009. Nickel and copper emissions began increasing again around 2015-2016.
- The mass of manganese and manganese compounds emitted in 2014 was revised due to an error in TRI data for the year (originally reported ~46,000 pounds of point source and fugitive air emissions).
- Antimony and selenium emissions decreased after 2008 and have not rebounded since.
- The most prolific emitters of lead are concentrated in south LA County near the Port of Los Angeles. The Tesoro Wilmington Calciner is the single most prolific emitter on the mainland (93.8 pounds). The Navy also reported emitting 97.8 pounds of lead off the coast of San Clemente Island.
- Lockheed Martin is the most prolific producer of chromium air emissions in LA County.